It was the beginning of my teaching career and I was the typical new teacher, eager to grow and learn to master my profession. I had so much that I wanted to learn and I found myself buying into anything that crossed my path, hoping that it would increase the success of my students. I lacked a process or system for evaluating new practices and teaching methods and quickly became frustrated with my systems for professional growth. My sister-in-law was working in Round Rock ISD at the time and shared with me their new system for professional growth - Appraisal By Collaboration. This action research process empowered the teacher to identify personal needs that would align with campus and district goals and focus on gathering the needed information and data to measure progress. I was so impressed with Round Rock's desire to empower the teacher to take control of his/her professional growth that I quickly began seeking a career in the district. I was excited by the opportunity to become more critical in selecting the methods and practices that I would use in my classroom. In 2004 I joined the Round Rock ISD team, eager to begin exploring the impact various best practices methods would have on student success.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail. ~Abraham Maslow

While there are many forums for sharing the results of your action research, there are many benefits to blogging throughout the process. One, it forces the author into written reflection and analysis of the current situation. During writing, the author engages in a conversation with self, where the words serve to expose both the situation and the author’s perception of the situation. Also, the audience for your thoughts becomes limitless. New perspectives help in clarifying the situation as well as offering possibilities for future action. The reader also benefits from your blogging. By sharing your journey with others, the rewards experienced by your campus have the potential to grow and expand to students whose lives you never knew you could reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment